Records show that the township established a library in 1876, in the township hall located in Columbiaville. In 1941, Columbiaville became a branch of the Lapeer County Library System. The library was located in the Rotary building with only 360 square feet of space, with a large portion of that space used by the furnace. After moving to a new building, built in 1986, it made it possible for 960 square feet of library space, with approx. 6,500 books with a circulation of 3,200 books per year. In 1998, funds were raised to begin work on an addition. In 2000, work was completed, adding considerable space to the library and the Historical Museum.
In January 2003, the Lapeer County Library System underwent a restructuring transition and changed its name to Lapeer District Library.