How YOU can help your local library
What is a Volunteer?
A volunteer is an individual or group of people performing duties or tasks for the library without wages or benefits. The volunteers described in this policy are different from the Friends of the Library volunteers who are governed by their own policies and bylaws. Volunteers typically work between 3 and 6 hours per week. Volunteers generally provide support services to paid staff, or work on special projects.
Some of the tasks regularly performed by volunteers are:
- Shelving books and other materials
- Dusting books and keeping shelves neat and in order
- Assisting staff with programs
- Creating displays
- Assisting patrons with basic computer skills
- Assisting the department heads or clerks with cleaning books or preparing materials for circulation or withdrawal
- Greeting library users
- Summer Reading Programs - assisting staff with projects and record keeping
- Craft projects and materials needed for youth programs
- Gardening and pulling weeds and managing the flower beds
- Outdoor projects
Not all opportunities are available at all times.